Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Life in General...

May 23, 2010

Things have been crazy lately, but oh so good! This is a LONG post, but this blog is to remember memories, and we have made a lot the last month or so, so here it goes!

Jake finished up his finals the first week of May. He did a great job this semester, and is glad to be done for the summer! I am excited to have him home and not having to do homework!

I am still doing the long-term sub job. It has been a blast, but so much work! As the school year is wrapping up, it seems that only now some of my students are starting to worry about what their grade is in my class. It doesn't help that I have seniors who worry if they are going to pass or not. I do my best to help them, but if they don't do the work, there isn't much I can do to help them! Okay, that is all I will say concerning that...I won't complain anymore... The kids have been a lot of fun, and I will miss them when the year is over. Like the students though, I say, "Bring on the summer!"

We recently did a service day with our students at school. Regular classes were not held. We just met with our "home room" students, and did a service project that the kids have been planning for the last couple of months. The kids had a pretty bad attitude about it because they were being "forced" to do service (oh, teenagers), but they showed up anyway. I, along with other teachers, were feeling pretty disappointed in the kids because of their bad attitudes. We all were in for a change of heart though. We started out the day by sweeping driveways and sidewalks of people who lived close to the high school. The kids had made signs that read, "Thanks for paying your tax dollars so we can have a new school." They put the signs on the doors of the people we swept for. Some of the people we swept for came out and talked with the kids. This one guy had actually been the old football coach at the high school. The kids thought that was pretty cool.

At one house, the kids were just sweeping, and the owner came out. She asked what was going on, and the kids told her they were just out doing service that day. The lady, who was only 35 or 40, just broke down in tears. The kids gathered around, and she told them, "This just makes my day. I just lost my job today, and...WOW!" It was all she could do to stop the tears, but she couldn't. She just kept saying, "Wow, I am...wowed!" The kids thought it was so cool! As we left her house, I heard the kids saying to each other, "Hey, that feels pretty good." It was so great to see the light bulb go on in their heads as to what service is all about! We ended the day with a BBQ at a local park. The kids loved that part of the day. We were done by 1 PM, so it was a good day for everyone!

This week we had the blessing and opportunity to attend a sealing of one of the families that Jake worked with on his mission. Jake started telling me about this family shortly after we had met. He just thinks the world of this family! He talks about them with so much love and respect. When he found out they were going through the Temple, he was so excited! We were hoping to go to Alaska to see it, but they ended up coming to Utah to do the sealing. It was such an AMAZING experience! They are a beautiful family, and it was such a blessing to be able to see them sealed for time and for all eternity. Jake was on cloud 9...in fact, he still is. I think he will be for awhile! Congratulations to the C. family! We are so happy for you!

Jake has been busy with work. Tis the season for lots of spraying. It is a blessing he is able to work and get overtime. I was able to take a trip to the zoo with Jake's Mom and the grandkids. We had a lot of fun! I was also able to go and support Rob Bishop at the Republican Convenation with Maren and Kimber. It was so fun to spend some time with them! We got to meet Senator Hatch and snap a picture with him. He was really nice. Most importantly, I got to see my Grandpa there doing his civic duties. That made my day to see him. It was great to see our government and rights as a people in action.

Okay, one last thing and then I will be done. I got a job!!! Next year, I will be teaching English at a middle school! Jake and I are so excited! We feel blessed to finally have found a job for me! I will be legit! I will have my own classroom, with my own name on the door! Woohoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment