We have been trying to add more fruits and vegetables into our diet lately, which has led me on a search for new, tasty recipes. I tried this one last night and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Jake raved about it all night; I have been anxiously waiting for him to get home today so we can eat the leftovers for dinner. Simply put, they are delicious!
I found it on Allrecipes.com. A lot of the reviews added a few ingredients to the original recipe. I hesitate to not follow a recipe exactly as it reads (I am a cook in progress) so I was a little nervous to change it up, but it turned out great! I thought I would share it with you. This is my tweaked version of the recipe:
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tsp chili powder (Originally I put this as Tablespoons, it is actually Teaspoons. So sorry for any confusion!)
Little bit of cumin (I used 4 small dashes)
1 lime, juiced
1-2 cloves of minced garlic (I used 1 1/2 cloves)
4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1-2 green and/or red peppers, sliced
1 lemon
1. Combine Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, lime and garlic. Place chicken strips in sauce, and turn once to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. (I sprayed skillet with cooking spray and reduced oil to 1/2 Tbsp.) Add chicken strips to the pan, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the onion and green pepper, and saute another 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
A few tips:
-The veggies weren't quite done after 3 minutes, so I think next time I will put them in the skillet when I put in the chicken.
-Do NOT overcook the chicken. 8 minutes doesn't seem like a lot, but it should be plenty of time.
-I served them in warm tortillas. You could garnish with cheese and sour cream, it just might not be as healthy... but, oh, so much tastier...
Try it. Let me know what you think!

Yum! We've started eating fajitas fairly often for the same reasons as you mentioned (trying to fit more veggies into our diet). I've just been putting chili powder, onion salt, and garlic salt as the seasoning. I'm definitely going to try this out!
ReplyDeleteI hope you like it as much as we did!
DeleteYum! I want to try this! Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteBrooke, thanks for stopping by. I hope you guys enjoy the recipe!
ReplyDelete