Sunday, April 30, 2017

because i knew you...

Back in July of 2016, we moved from our comfortable basement apartment to be closer to BYU for Jake's schooling. Grad school has been something we have been talking about since we were dating, so we felt excited and ready to move, because it was one step closer to that goal. However, there was one thing we were dreading about moving (besides cleaning, of course), and that was having to leave our wonderful neighbors and ward members.

Jake and I will always hold a special place in our hearts for the wonderful people we were able to associate with while living in the small town we were in. The people we met were so, so good! They have influenced our lives in ways they will never know. 

We were blessed to live there for 3 1/2 years. We lived in an area where the people were much further along in life than we were. When we first moved into the ward, there were hardly any couples our age. Most had teenagers or children that had already left home. While it was hard at times to not have a lot of people our age, it provided an opportunity to learn and grow from these amazing families. Being able to associate with them, visit with them, serve with them, and to be in their homes proved to be invaluable for Jake and I. We have seen wonderful examples of what we hope to have in our family some day.

The first summer in our small town, Jake and I had the chance to see the play Wicked while visiting New York. One of the songs in the play is called "For Good." It is about how the people we meet in our lives can change us for the better.

I'm going to stop you right now. I need to warn you that I'm about to get super cheesy...read on at your own risk...

While we were living in our little town, I told Jake that that song was the theme song for our ward and neighborhood. Whenever I thought of these people, I would think of the "For Good" song.

I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn.
And we are led to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them.
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you....

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime.
So, let me say before we part:
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend....

Because I knew you
I have been changed...
For good.

Here are some pictures to remember just some of the wonderful people we met and things we did.  

This was at the annual Trunk-or-Treat. This is the year I helped out with the costume parade.

Gathering with friends for Jake's birthday. (Taylor and Ariel, Clayton, Megan and Matt)

Grant...that's all I've got to say about this one! He and M were in the same Nursery/Primary class. He is a character! We got to watch him and his sister every once in a while.

Lauren, Carissa, and Audrey. This was my first calling in the ward. This picture was taken at a Mother's Day Luncheon.

Heather and Jenni. Jenni was my visiting teacher the whole time we were in the ward. She and her companion, Dorisanne were SO GOOD to me! They brought me like 10+ freezer meals after J was born. They were really fun visiting teachers to have.

Me, Kristin, and Lisa with the kids. It was always fun to get together with these girls!

Sara, Donna, and Bethany. Donna is such a great mom! She is so nice and just full of wisdom, and her children are amazing.

Me, Heidi, Carissa. Heidi and I were visiting teachers to Carissa. This is when Carissa was moving and we had just dropped off some lunch to feed her family. These ladies...I can't say enough good about them. They are incredible mothers! It was a blessing to visit with them each month.

More pictures from the luncheon. Sorry about the random order! The Sessions family...we love them! They have 6 girls, each and every one with their very own unique personality. M was good friends with the daughter his age.

M and Addie swinging, and sweet Amanda in the background. These guys are with the Dunn's (our landlords). They mean so much to us!

Scott and JoJo. No words, just so much gratitude and love for them. This is the family Jake farmed for in high school. I have no idea how we got so lucky to be acquainted with this good family, but we did. We LOVED being in the same ward and neighborhood as them. Oh how we love and miss them! Sunday dinners with them will always be some of our favorites.

Aly was my advisor when I was over the Mia Maids. She is so creative and FUN! She can make me laugh. I love her!

The loop around our street was the best for walks. We often mention how much we miss our Sunday walks around the loop.


Jessica, Kristy, Aly, me. It was an absolute gift to work with these women in Young Women's. They served so willingly and cared for the girls endlessly.

Heaven on earth. More pictures from another Sunday walk.




Square Dancing in the barn with Sara and Kristen.

Sweet Bonney. The kids loved going to visit her and play with her "old school" toys! She let them have free reign on her treat drawers, so they really loved that! We miss visiting this dear lady.

Some of the Dunn family. So much good to say about this wonderful family. They treated us like their very own while we lived in their basement. Their generosity and kindness has blessed our lives tremendously. They have the nicest kids, and we LOVED getting together with them. We will always have a special place in our hearts for the Dunn family. It was a privilege to be in their home and feel of their goodness.


Whitney, me, Clara, and Rose. The last Sunday we were there, some of our neighbors (that I didn't get a picture with), threw us a little goodbye party. Some of my sweet young women came to see me off. I miss these girls!

I told you I was getting cheesy on you! But it's true, our lives have forever been changed for good because we knew these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment