My grandparents have always been great examples of going to visit the graves of their loved ones on Memorial Day. I still have many memories as a child of going to visit the cemetery in the small town where my grandparents live. There was always a big crowd of aunts, uncles, and cousins to catch up with.
Here is a picture of some of my (second) cousins and I back when we were younger. I am the one in the middle of the group in the white shirt and blue bow. We always looked forward, and still do, to seeing them on Memorial Day each year!
About 4-5 years ago, my grandparents came up with a new tradition. As we (the grandchildren) were getting older, moving away, getting married, etc., it got harder for us to go visit the graves each year. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this new tradition was to help my cousins and I get to the graves with our families. Whatever the reason, I am so thankful for this tradition! It is something we look forward to every May!
First we start at the cemetery where my grandparents live. Then we move to two other cemeteries throughout the morning.While at the cemeteries, we help my grandparents put flowers on the graves while they tell us a few stories or family history about our buried loved ones. With each passing year I get more and more familiar with where my family is buried, and remember a little bit more about their stories.
Uncle Eldon, cousin K, M
Grandma Pete telling the boys about Uncle Brian, my grandparent's first son.
Grandpa Pete and Miss B.
Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Eldon, Uncle Tom, Nick
Sharing goldfish
Here we are at baby Zach's grave. This is my cousin's first son.
M left him a matchbox car.
Lots of care and concern over how his grave looked!
Lots of love for this little boy, and all the babies on the other side, from our family.
After the cemetery visits, my grandparents treat us all to lunch at Frederico's...a family favorite! It is a great way to end the day.
I am so thankful for my grandparents. I appreciate the value they place on honoring our loved ones on Memorial Day. This is something I will always value thanks to their efforts. So thankful for my family.

No comments:
Post a Comment