Last month I finished reading the book Wonder, a
young adult novel, written by R.J. Palacio.
Can I just say W.O.W. Loved it. Loved it! It was the kind of
book that you can’t put down, that you just have to know what happens next.
To begin with, I loved the story line. It is about a boy,
August, who was born with a severely deformed face. Because of all of his
health issues and surgeries, he has never been to a main-stream school.
However, he decides to attend a main-stream school for the 5th
grade. The book is about his experiences transitioning into the school.
The book is told from the perspective of different
characters in the book. So not only do you get August’s perception of his
transition, but also that of family and friends. I really thought the author
did a beautiful job of weaving all of the different perspectives together to
tell a great story.
My favorite thing about the book is that it really made me
think. I was constantly thinking what character I am most like in the book, and
what character I would like to be like. (And, in case you are wondering, I
totally want to be like Summer!)
It made me think about how mean people can be—often times not meaning to be. It
also made me think about being kind to others, and just how much good I can do
by simply being nice to someone. It also made me realize that when I see
someone with a disability, instead of looking away because I don’t want to come
off as being rude, look them in the eye and smile at them. Most likely, they
see themselves as a “normal” person, and would appreciate being treated as
such.
Towards the end of the book the school August attended for 5th
grade has a graduation/award type ceremony. At the event the principal, Mr.
Tushman, is speaking to the crowd. This is the last part of his little speech:
“If every single person…made it a rule to act a little
kinder than is necessary—the world really would be a better place. And if you
do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else,
somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face
of God."
By far, that was my favorite quote and lesson from the book—not
just to be kind, but to be “kinder than is necessary.” It is such a simple, yet
beautiful, concept. Yet, I truly believe
it has the power to change lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment